Keys to Successful Facebook Page Marketing

Written by Brandan BakiJanuary 31, 2011

"Congratulations! Your business has its own Facebook page.” That doesn’t sound very impressive does it? Making that Facebook page isn’t really even the first step to page marketing. It’s something that should have already been done by now. Step one is your game plan. Like all your marketing, this page needs that same “roadmap” for success. We will touch on that roadmap soon, but first let’s talk about the importance of this page and the plan.

Why did you make the leap to put your business on Facebook? Because everyone else was? Well, yes and no. Everyone else is but their reason is your reason. You go where the people are. And in this case, the consumers are ready for you and the cost is low.

There are several stories about big companies and their social marketing. They do big lavish things and make waves. But their success, like yours, is a direct result of purpose and planning.

Last summer I read an article about Coca-Cola in Europe. They were really making leaps and bounds in their social networking presence but their commercials and print ads were lacking and growing in cost. Coke made a big decision. They decided to stop all European commercials and print and use that same massive budget for Facebook and twitter. They even planned to close down their website for Europe and have it redirected to their Facebook page. (I have not recently followed up that this all actually happened, this was just the plan. It doesn’t really matter if they did it; the idea is enough for me.)

What big epiphany did they have that made them think this was a good idea? None. They just realized that 90% of their advertising budget was being used to attract 10% of their customers. The other 90% of their drinkers were being reached on Facebook, where they were allocating only 10% of their budget. (The percentages are made up of course.)

The idea is, why spend more on less people and make less profit. Spend more on your bigger audience. I think this is a big eye opener for small businesses because when you think about a huge company who is using their funding for the same free thing you are, it makes you feel like you’re on the right path to your own success. And what do they do with all that extra money? They can do more giveaways, more contests, and they can pay real people for live responses. What’s more impressive as a consumer; seeing a flashy commercial or having a human respond live to your issue you posted on their Facebook page?

So, you’re there. Your page is ready to go. Now what?

Now you listen to Jeremiah Owyang, the brain behind “The 8 Success Criteria For Facebook Page Marketing”. I will list his 8 rules and go into their importance but be sure to check out his whole study. It will change (for the better) the way you actively post and market on Facebook.

The 8 steps are:

  1. Set Community Expectations
  2. Provide Cohesive Branding
  3. Be Up To Date
  4. Live Authenticity
  5. Participate in Dialogue
  6. Enable Peer-to-Peer Interactions
  7. Foster Advocacy
  8. Solicit a Call to Action

Seems easy enough, but when you don’t do each one properly you have the whole weak link metaphor. The whole idea came from a massive study of large companies who were already marketing on Facebook. They graded their actions and you’ll be surprised who scored high and who failed. Plus, after reading about the study you can learn greatly from those company’s mistakes.

Set Community Expectations

This is important for two big reasons - you and your fans. You need to know what you are expecting from the community. This helps you to be able to regulate without having to reinvent the wheel every time something new arises.

Your fans need to know what to expect too. It’s here that you can let them know what sort of branding you’ll be doing, whether the page is for tips, deals or just venting and problems. But you want them to know what is appropriate before they post. The last thing you want are fans posting and the posts being deleted because it was appropriate and they didn’t know it. Make these policies clear and easily accessible. Do me a favor and make them readable and not 4,000 pages of fine print. You want this to be read.

Social login powered by Gigya